Spa Professional Business Diversification



My name is Emily and I have been a hairstylist for 15 years. I own my own hair studio and specialize in blonding and balayage. I have watched my business grow to the point of having a closed book. This is always a dream, because it means having a secure income month over month, year over year. There are challenges with having a closed book. Since you no longer have the hours to take on new clients, you are unable to increase your salary without raising the prices of your services.

Raising prices should be a regular occurrence. The cost of living increases, the price of our product goes up, and rent at the salon can be raised. These all factor into an increase in service pricing. I heard someone say recently that you should never close your books, just raise your prices. You will price out certain clients making room for the new ones. In turn, you are increasing your pay. That was an interesting concept. I could see how that would work. But here was my issue...I LOVE my current clientele. We have  a close bond. I know their hair inside and out. I know what they like and dislike. This takes a lot of the stress out of my job. But there still had to be an answer to my conundrum of making more money without taking on new clients.

I had worked in the past in an Aveda salon and spa. I love their products. Love that it is a natural line. I loved that they offered you a yummy mint herbal tea (that you could purchase) when you came in to have your services done. It created a relaxing experience. One that, if you purchased their products and tea, you could recreate in your own home. THAT was a concept that appealed to me. But I am a strictly Kevin Murphy salon. I do love using their products, but wanted to be able to help my clients to recreate the relaxing spa atmosphere they love so much in my salon. Relaxation should not be reserved only for the salon and spa.

Here's what I did. First, I serve my clients a special relaxing tea blend. One that tastes so yummy and cozy, but helps them to take the nervous energy off. It has a mint flavor, which helps them to take deeper breaths. Second, many of them would come in and complain about neck pain. I keep a bottle of my special essential oil blend that soothes sore achy muscles at my station. I would rub a little of this on their pain areas and they would instantly feel the warmth. As the appointment continued, they noticed their muscles relaxing and the pain subsiding. Again, happy and cozy clients. Third, I always  believe in giving an awesome scalp massage. It may be hard work, but clients just rave about it and it keeps them coming back. I decided to up my scalp massage game without putting in more physical labor. That same essential oil can be added to shampoos and conditioners to create a tingly scalp treatment. Clients have said that it feels like an Altoid on their scalp haha. It relaxes tension in the head and promotes circulation, which will give them a healthy, flake free scalp. Eventually, I switched to the conditioner that has that essential oil blend built in. It saved me a step at the back bar and also gives the most dreamy aromatherapy. I even find myself taking deep breaths and relaxing while I am giving their scalp massage.

So how do these three things help to make you money? Do you already have a product line that you sell to your clients? Do you buy it at  wholesale and sell it at retail? Well this works just like that. As your clients experience these items and love the way they make them feel, you offer for them to recreate this spa experience in their homes. You can buy the products wholesale and retail them right in your salon alongside whatever other items you offer as retail. You are adding to your income just by running your business as you normally would and creating a higher end experience with high end products. We also have 10 other reaching out methods to help you share these products with others (without getting all icky and salesy).

Does this sound like something you might want to know more about? I've got deets. Let's chat and see if this is a right fit for you

Let's connect!


Comments